Google My Business now allows you to add a business description to your Google Business Page that appears within the business knowledge panel in search.
How to Add Your Business Description to Your Google My Business Listing
- Log into your Google My Business Dashboard: https://business.google.com/locations
- Select the business listing in dashboard
- Navigate to the info section
- Scroll down to “Add business description”
- Select the pencil icon
- Add business description
You have 750 (including spaces) available for your business description.
Page breaks do not appear within the displayed version in the business knowledge panel.
Guidelines for Business Descriptions
You should be upfront and honest about the information provided, focusing on content that is relevant and useful to your customers to understand your business.
Content published in this field should not:
- Be misleading to users. Do not provide inaccurate or false information about your business or the services and products offered.
- Display low-quality, irrelevant, or distracting content. For example, misspellings, gimmicky character use, gibberish, etc.
- Focus on special promotions, prices, and offer sale. Examples of content not allowed include, “Everything on sale, -50%” and “Best bagels in town for $5!”
- Display links. No links of any type are allowed.
- Display offensive or inappropriate content:
- Harassing, bullying, or hateful content. Published content must not promote hatred or incite violence against individuals or groups based on ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Content containing obscene, profane, or offensive language.
- Content promoting and encouraging violence or terrorist activities.
- Sexually suggestive or explicit content. Content must not include profanity, sexually graphic and offensive slang terms, terms that are common signals for pedophilia, content that promotes pedophilia, bestiality, or sexual violence, or content that promotes escort services or other services that may be interpreted as providing sexual acts in exchange for compensation.
- Display unpermitted content:
- Do not upload content related to the sale of dangerous and illegal products or services.
- Do not upload content that exploits or abuses children.
Unsurprisingly the option to add a business description to any Lodging category businesses has not been provided, heaven forbid a hotel happens to scrounge a single click away from AdWords.